Pre Start Checklist (UPDATED JUNE 2022)
Pre Start Checklist Overview. Learn what they are, and why electronic is better, with this in-depth post.
Pre start checklists are lists of activities required before using equipment. They help you manage complex industrial assets such as trucks, or other equipment. These checklists helps the operator ensure equipment is fit for use. Operators record that they have completed the check, and record any issues found.
Benefits of Pre Start Checklists
- Ensures operators share in accountability of their equipment
- Helps ensure safety of the equipment and the operator prior to operation
- Fix problems quickly and more cost-effectively if they are known early
- Comply with Chain of Responsibility requirements
- Limit liability in the case of an accident
- Helps extend the life of the equipment
Paper-Based Pre Start Checklists
Many organizations still use traditional paper based checklists. The advantages of this type of checklist are –
- Operators are familiar with them
- They are simple, cheap and easy to use
- They provide a clear audit trail and are fit for purpose
The disadvantages –
- Possibility of losing the checklist results
- Not so easy to customize for different equipment
- Operator must remember to do it
- No barcoding of assets increases the chance of errors
- Slower to use
- Cannot capture pictures of defective parts
- Cannot automatically record GPS location and time of inspections to ensure they are done as required
- People tend to take paper-based data less seriously as it’s almost never checked
Electronic Pre Start Checklists
Advantages of Electronic Pre Start Checklists
- Easier to customize for different equipment
- Phone application can remind operator when to do the checks
- Results can be submitted in real time to ensure follow up work orders are arranged promptly
- No possibility of losing the results – in fact they can be acted on immediately
- Barcoding of assets minimises the chance of errors
- Electronic checklists are faster to use
- Can capture all types of information including pictures of defective parts
- Record GPS location and time of inspections to ensure they are done as required
- ISO 55000 compliance
BY MATTHEW PEARSON - TECH WRITER AND TELEMATICS EXPERT
LAST UPDATED 21 JUNE 2022
More Telematics Australia Resources for you below!
Fuel Tax Credit
As we all know, the price of fuel includes tax. When you use fuel for specific business purposes, you can claim back this tax in the form of fuel tax credits.
Fleet Telematics Solutions
Fleet Telematics Solutions is a combined directory and poll. It includes Smartrak, CTrack, EROAD, and many others. You can vote for as many providers as you like.
Best Dash Cam Australia
This is a combined directory and poll for Best Dash Cam Australia. It’s set up so experienced dash cam users can share their knowledge.
Chain of Responsibility Legislation
Many people in the industry have an influence on the safety of heavy vehicles. They influence actions taken by drivers, loaders, maintenance crews, and others. This is the Chain of Responsibility.
ROI Calculator for Telematics and Fleet Management Systems
This calculator focuses on the ROI that results from better cost control, especially the costs associated with fuel and labour, and the tax rebates available from the Australian Fuel Tax Credit system.
The IAP (Intelligent Access Program) is a voluntary program that provides transport operators with enhanced access to Australia’s road network, in return for monitoring and compliance ...