Fleet Management Systems Benefits (UPDATED APRIL 2021)
Fleet management systems can help reduce costs in multiple ways, including –
- Monitoring idling time helps reduce unnecessary fuel costs
- Route optimisation helps reduce fuel costs
- Access to Intelligent Access program helps reduce fuel costs
- Geofencing helps reduce fuel costs
- Monitoring real time fuel consumption can help with early identification and correction of excessive fuel use
- Electronic Work Diary helps control and reduce labour costs
- Route optimisation helps reduce labour costs
- Access to Intelligent Access program helps reduce labour costs
- Vehicle tracking and auxilliary equipement monitoring helps increase Fuel Tax Credit claims
- Using vehicle history to select the most cost-effective replacement vehicles when it comes to time to replace
Fleet management systems that utilise telematics information direct from the vehicle can provide detailed information that helps improve driver safety. For example –
- Error codes can be sent direct from the vehicle, ensuring prompt follow up and ensuring the vehicle is maintained to a high standard
- Driver rest periods can be prompted by the on-board system. They are recorded by the driver and compared with vehicle activity, ensuring that the drivers take the correct breaks and remain as fresh as possible (as well as legally compliant)
- Accelerometer information from the on-board unit can be tracked by the Fleet Management System, meaning that harsh braking, cornering and acceleration can be monitored and drivers alerted in real time when they breach their targets
Customer Satisfaction Benefits
Fleet management systems can help improve customer satisfaction in multiple ways, including –
- Vehicle tracking means better estimation of arrival of deliveries or services
- Better fleet reliability means better service delivery
Improved Legal Compliance and Reduced Risk
Fleet management systems can help improve legal compliance in multiple ways, including –
- Electronic Work Diary means better compliance with required rest times
- Vehicle monitoring leads to better maintenance, and more roadworthy vehicles
- Driver monitoring leads to better driving practice and fewer accidents
- Documented procedures in the event of an accident can help with legal compliance
BY MATTHEW PEARSON - TECH WRITER, FLEET MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ADVOCATE AND TELEMATICS EXPERT
LAST UPDATED 11 MAY 2021
More Telematics Australia Resources for you below!
Fleet Telematics Solutions is a combined directory and poll. It includes Coretex GPS systems, Fleet Complete Australia, and many others. You can vote for as many brands as you like.
Many people in the industry have an influence on the safety of heavy vehicles. They influence actions taken by drivers, loaders, maintenance crews, and others. This is the Chain of Responsibility.
This calculator focuses on the ROI that results from better cost control, especially the costs associated with fuel and labour, and the tax rebates available from the Australian Fuel Tax Credit system.